A Parent’s Perspective – What Makes A Great School
A great school is more than just good grades and test scores. It’s a place where students can learn, grow, and thrive academically and personally.
While there’s no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, parents often talk about several key factors that contribute to a great school. Here are some of the most frequent responses:
- Strong Leadership: A great school starts with strong leadership. A great head teacher will inspire, motivate and will set the tone for the school, establish clear goals and expectations, and provide support and guidance for teachers, students and parents.
- Quality Teaching: Great schools are staffed with experienced teachers who are committed to student success. A great teacher can make all the difference in a student’s academic journey, inspiring them to learn, grow, and achieve. A large number of us will recall the teachers whom our child adored and thrived under.
- Inspiring & Broad Curriculum: Great schools offer a rigorous curriculum that challenges students to think critically, solve problems, and develop essential skills. The curriculum should be designed to meet the needs of all learners, providing opportunities for both academic and personal growth. It should ensure that the students are well-prepared for the next stage of their educational journey.
- Safe and Supportive Environment: A great school is a safe and supportive environment where students feel happy, valued, respected, and supported. The school should have policies and procedures to ensure student safety and support students who need it. The school should also offer a variety of extracurricular activities to meet the needs and interests of all students.
- Engaged and Supportive Community: A great school has an engaged and supportive community that values education and works together to support student success. Parents who are involved in their children’s education and have the option to give feedback to the school as and when needed, can help to create a positive learning environment that fosters academic and personal growth.